Shudders in a Whisper
Shudders in a Whisper is from the excellent Smuggler’s Cove cocktail book, a must-have if you love inventive tropical cocktails. This one calls for Drambuie (a scotch-based liqueur) and pear liqueur, two ingredients rarely found in tiki drinks. The resulting flavor is a mystical “can’t-put-your-finger-on-it” melange of honey, pears, and fruity spice.
If you’re fresh out of seltzer, club soda, or plain sparkling water, a lightly-flavored sparkling water (citrus or passionfruit or pear) would be just fine.
- 2 parts Aged rum
- ½ part Pear liqueur
- ¼ part Scotch whisky liqueur
- ¾ part Lime juice
- ½ part Passion fruit syrup or Passion fruit puree
- 2 dashes Creole bitters or Aromatic bitters or Orange bitters or Tiki bitters
- 1 dash Aromatic bitters or Creole bitters or Orange bitters or Tiki bitters
- 2 parts Sparkling water or Flavored sparkling water
If you have a flash blender, blend all ingredients (including the sparkling water) with a cupful-and-a-half of crushed ice.
Otherwise, shake all ingredients (except the sparkling water) with ice, strain into a tiki mug or tall glass, add the sparkling water, and top with crushed or pebble ice.
Garnish your heart out with mint, edible flowers, lime wheels – the works.
Get the App
The Cocktail Party app puts this drink – and hundreds more – in your pocket, and tells you what you can make from the ingredients you have at home. It's the best $3.99 you'll ever spend on a drink.
- Smuggler’s Cove: Exotic Cocktails, Rum, and the Cult of Tiki by Martin Cate